Quick Spiced Mushrooms
Prep Time:10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
Indian cuisine is hard-core about vegetables. No bland afterthought or steamed sidekick, these veg are punchy, flavor-forward, and spotlight-ready. Committed carnivore in your house? Give any vegetable the Masala treatment and see if you don’t have a convert on your hands. A hungry, hungry convert.
Keep a large cup of water on hand to moisten your pot as necessary.
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
¾ teaspoon fine salt (not sea salt)
1 packet MM Mushroom Masala
1. Place a wide-based sauté pan on medium heat. When the pan is hot add the olive oil and sauté the garlic cloves for one minute.
2. Add the tomato and sauté, stirring continuously for about 4 minutes, until it releases all its water, softens, and breaks apart (see pic below).
3. Add the salt and the Mushroom Masala to the tomato, followed by 2 tablespoons of water, and blend well. Sauté the mixture for about a minute until you have a moist paste (see pics below).
4. Add the mushrooms and coat well with the tomato-masala paste.
5. Adjust the heat to medium-high. Sauté the mushrooms for about 10 minutes, stirring continuously until the water is released and they have softened. The water released from the mushrooms will help form the curry paste; add small amounts of water, if necessary to keep the masala paste moist.